Legal Blah-blah

Healing approaches mentioned in this blog are for educational purposes only. Suggested supplements, etc. should not be used as replacements for conventional medical treatment without guidance from a licensed and trained medical professional.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

How to make Scotch Eggs

This recipe does not use any alcohol!
This recipe is NOT low fat.
But it sure is delicious.

A little over two years ago, my friend Laura was going to bring Scotch eggs to my best friend's 40th birthday party.  That was the first time I ever heard of them.  Unfortunately she didn't bring the eggs and I had to look up the recipe on the Internet, because I'm curious.
Every recipe I found used pork, which I rarely eat, and also deep fries the egg, which I don't do at home although I will eat onion rings from a burger place.  I made up my own recipe, which follows.  I'll also put the original recipe for all you deep fried pork lovers out there.
The first time I made these was around Easter and they were a big hit!  Now my step kids and  my friends want me to make them more often, but usually I just make them at Easter.

My Recipe:
4 hard boiled eggs-shelled
1 pound ground turkey (or better yet bulk turkey sausage)
seasonings to make turkey taste like sausage (if needed)
1 raw egg beaten
1/2 cup panko/dry breadcrumbs


These are all the ingredients I used.  I made a double batch, one with the turkey and one with sweet Italian pork sausage for Mr. Inappropriate.  Mr. Inappropriate would like to have pork at every meal.

Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly grease a baking sheet. Combine the ground turkey and seasonings like garlic, fennel, Italian seasoning, rosemary, etc., to make the turkey taste like sausage.  Divide it into four portions and shape it into patties.
Place a hard boiled egg, without its shell, on top of the patty, shaping the patty around the egg until the egg is uniformly covered.  It should be about the size and shape of a baseball.




Dip the sausage covered egg in the beaten egg and then roll in the bread crumbs. Place the Scotch egg on your greased pan.  Repeat with the other 3 eggs.

Somehow I made one extra Scotch egg.  I think it was because my ground turkey came in a 1.25 pound package.

 Bake at 350 for 25 -30 minutes, until they are golden brown.  They can be eaten warm or cold.  They are the perfect picnic or on the go lunch food.  It's best to slice a Scotch egg in half before eating, as it's easier to handle it that way.

Don't these look soooooo delicious?  We'll have them tomorrow for Easter breakfast.

Original Scotch Egg Recipe:
from COOKS.COM

Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
4 hard boiled eggs
1 lb. sausage meat
1 egg
1 tbsp. seasoned flour
1/2 c. crisp bread crumbs
Oil or fat to fry

Shell the hard boiled eggs. Press the sausage meat into meat squares on a floured board. Wrap the eggs in the sausage meat, making sure this is completely sealed without any air space on cracks. Brush with the beaten egg. Roll in bread crumbs. Heat oil and test it by placing a piece of stale bread with oil for 1 minute and it turns golden brown; 1 1/2 minutes if using fat. Put in the scotch eggs. Fry steadily for approximately 5 to 8 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Lift out, drain on crumpled paper and serve hot or cold. It is possible to bake these in the oven. Allow approximately 20 to 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment