Legal Blah-blah

Healing approaches mentioned in this blog are for educational purposes only. Suggested supplements, etc. should not be used as replacements for conventional medical treatment without guidance from a licensed and trained medical professional.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hiyashi Chuka or Cold Ramen Salad

Now that we are in to August, I feel like I need a cool, refreshing main dish that's not too difficult to make.  I first had Hiyashi Chuka in Japan over 20 years ago.  I've made it many times and my sister requests I make it whenever I visit her in the summer.
I usually use ramen noodles but you can use Chinese egg noodles if you wish.  Once you have the noodles, you can pretty much put whatever vegetables that you like or have around, into the mix.  Here's what I made last week.

Ingredients:


2 packages of ramen noodles
1/2 pound roast beef   (You could use ham, chicken, turkey, etc.) Cut into strips.
1/2 English cucumber, cut into match sticks
2 eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup grated carrots
sliced green onion (I like lots, adjust to taste.)

For dressing:
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
My original recipe calls for 1/3 cup water in this dressing, but I like the strong taste of it without the water.

You may want hot yellow mustard (karashi) and or beni shoga (pickled red ginger) but I did not have it on hand this time.


First, you want to make the egg.  Beat eggs in a bowl and add sugar, then mix well.  Heat some oil in a small frying pan and pour 1/4 to 1/2 the egg mixture over the pan.  Spread the egg thinly, like a crepe, and fry for one minute. Turn and cook for about 30 seconds more.  Take out of the pan and place on cutting board to cool.  Repeat with the rest of the egg mixture. Slice the crepe into thin strips.


Make the dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together.  Usually I put it in a container with a lid and just shake it.

Put your noodle water on to boil.  For two people's amount of ramen, you will need a medium large pot, around 3 quarts.

As the water is heating, cut up your meat and vegetables into strips, slices or grated, as above in the ingredient list.  You can arrange it all nicely on a platter if you want those you are cooking for to place their own ingredients on the noodles.

Once the water is boiling, cook your noodles according to package directions and drain.  Pour cold water over them quickly to cool them and let them drain again. 

Put the cold noodles on a plate, arrange toppings on top and pour dressing over the noodles just before serving.

This recipe feeds two very hungry people or four not so hungry people.

No comments:

Post a Comment